Tuesday 30 May 2017

Made myself a Market Bag using the crochet pattern by Simply Collectible


This is a fabulous looking market bag, and so easy to make, using a crochet pattern by Simply Collectible (click here for pattern).

Due to the heavy yarn load and large hook, it is a bit hard on the hands (if you have arthritis). On the plus side, it does make up quickly.

The pattern calls for using two strands of worsted weight cotton (~440m). However, I didn’t have any in my stash so instead used some Moda Vera Elenna yarn in a light sand colour. This is a bulky (12 ply?) 50% acrylic 50% cotton yarn in 100g balls (85m). Using a single strand, instead of the double, and a 6.5mm hook, my bag used almost 2 balls of yarn.







The finished bag has a length of about 11 inches (not including the straps).  I am very happy with my new market bag and definitely would like to make another one using 2 strands of worsted cotton as per the pattern.  Next time, however, I’ll make the straps a little longer.

July 2017 update: made another one of these and added 10 stitches to each strap (53 instead of 43) - and I find it more comfortable to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment