Saturday 17 October 2015

Women’s crochet scarf using Chevron pattern, plus headband and other bits


This is an easy scarf pattern by Dena Stelley click here for pattern). It makes up light and drapey using an 8 ply yarn and 3.5 mm hook. This type of pattern is great when you’re not sure if you have enough yarn for a long scarf because you just decide the width and then keep crocheting until the yarn runs out.

For this scarf, I used Lincraft’s Splendour yarn (50g (135m), 50% wool and 50% acrylic, 8 ply, colour Monet). This yarn was a bit tricky to work with as it had lots of light wispy bits which caught on the hook. Nonetheless, it was so worth it. The colour and the self striping produced a really nice finish that I am very very happy with. Would definitely use this type of yarn again.

Using a 3.5mm hook, and starting with 42 chain, the scarf used almost 4 balls of yarn, and had a finished size of 6.5 inches wide and 71 inches long.


This pattern includes 3 widths to choose from, and has a base pattern of 10 chain. Because I was using an 8 ply yarn and a 3.5mm hook, I chose to use the widest 42 chain option.

The scarf is really soft and drapes beautifully. I could have used a larger hook which would have given a looser finish that would still have been very nice, and would have been somewhat quicker to make; using a 3.5mm hook meant that lots of hours went into making this scarf.

Because I had some yarn left over, and it was so pretty, I decided to make a headband, wrist band, and hair band.

For the headband, I chose the Genious Headband pattern by Elizabeth Alan (click here for pattern), which is very net like and has lots of stretch. I left off the flower, and increased the width to about 5 inches. Nice tension and feels very secure without being tight.














For the wristband, I chose the Spokes Crochet Cuff pattern by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark (click here for pattern). I modified this slightly and used the net stitch from the headband rather than the band and button used in the Spokes pattern. Easy to slip on and off, and it sits comfortably on the wrist.


I tried to make 2 of these, but did not have enough yarn, so made the second one smaller to use as a hair band.

Had lots of fun crocheting with this yarn. Looking forward to giving these as a present.

No comments:

Post a Comment